b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Sam 7:6 prep L before meyom

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Charles Grebe <cgrebe AT briercrest.ca>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Sam 7:6 prep L before meyom
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 06:59:35 -0800

Charles:

Now you are talking about translation, not understanding the Hebrew. To be
honest, I have given very little thought about translation. The reason I
learned Hebrew was to be able to read Tanakh, not to translate it.

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Charles Grebe <cgrebe AT briercrest.ca> wrote:

> Karl,****
>
> ** **
>
> So would you translate the first part of 2 Sam 7:6 as ****
>
> ** **
>
> "For I have not dwelt in a house for from the day I brought up the sons of
> Israel from Egypt until this day..."?****
>
> ** **
>
> If so, what would “for from the day” mean in this verse?

What don’t you understand about this? I am at a loss to answer this as I
don’t understand what you mean by this question in this context.

>From the context, there should be at least a comma, if not a period,
between “…in a house. For from the …”

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Also, how would it be different from simply saying “from the day”?

If you think that is the best way to translate it, that’s your call.