b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Sam 7:3 qamets or qamets-hatuph

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Donald Vance <donaldrvance AT me.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Sam 7:3 qamets or qamets-hatuph
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 20:00:53 -0500

1. I looked up both Ex. 23:20 and 1Sam 25:29 but I fail to see there any qamats-hatuph (BTW, what is this "hatuph", do you mean qamats- hataph or hataph-qamats?). I suspect that latter day (circa 1982) "masorates" removed many hataphim.

2. I don't know what is the origin or purpose of this O reading for some qamats', but interestingly enough,
the word CAHARAYIM צהרים 'noon', is now commonly pronounced CAHARAYIM and not COHORAYIM,
even though its recommended spelling is צוהריים The word ANIYAH, 'ship' is universally pronounced, and
written, ONIYAH, אוניה possibly to distinguish it from 'poor'. On the other hand, I have never heard the
ANIY of 1Ki 10:11 read ONIY.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
.