b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Participle or Qatal?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christoph Georg Mueller" <kuayanga AT bluewin.ch>
  • To: "'K Randolph'" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, "'B-Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Participle or Qatal?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:18:11 +0100

Dear Karl,

if I understand you correctly, you seem to translate Judges 6,29 with
something like: "Who is a (typical) doer of this thing ?"
This question would be understandable if the text related the deeds of an
mysterious serial sanctuary-desecrator.
But the question seems to be asked by the people the morning after a unique
vandalism of a sanctuary.
In such a case the expected question is: "who did this thing ?"
For that type of expression - within the literary genre of colloquial
conversation - the regular form is qatal, not qotel.
The question in Jdg 6,29 is not poetry, nor is it the main-thread of the
narrative, but ist is a quote of colloquial conversation inserted into the
narrative.
Colloquial conversation has to be compared to itself to begin with, then only
can one compare it to other genres in a second go.

With respectful regards
Christoph Georg Müller,
Bangui, Central African Republic