b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Participle or Qatal?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Participle or Qatal?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 11:13:22 -0700

Thanks to all who have answered.

The reason I was reading that phrase with NTN as a participle is because
that is the way it felt right. I didn’t have a logical position or
grammatical rule that I could point to to justify reading it as a
participle, it just felt that it should be read that way.

(The reason I rejected the “Jehoash Stone” forgery was again, the first time
I read it, it just felt wrong. I couldn’t point to any specific reason, it
just felt wrong. Like speaking with an immigrant who has almost, almost
gotten rid of his accent. In analyzing it to explain why it felt wrong, I
started getting used to its feeling, so I don’t want to go back to it to
have it pollute my feeling for Biblical Hebrew any more.)

So it looks as if I should stay with my gut feeling, and continue to read
the phrase with NTN as a participle.

Thanks again to all.