b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14:18-22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14:18-22
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 06:30:21 -0700

George:

OK, this will be my last response to you on this.

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 5:44 AM, George Athas
<George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>wrote:

> Karl, not only do I find your chronological reorganisation of Ancient Near
> Eastern history beyond reason,

It is not my chronological reorganization. All I know is the language and
text of Tanakh. However, I have read some historians and archaeologists who
make a good case for chronological reorganization, which I find convincing.

> but your description of Genesis as 'the only documentation from Canaan for
> that era' is most odd (even an early Mosaic date puts it much later than
> what you claim for it),

I have already given reasons for that, again reasons not mine but learned
from others. The internal evidence from Genesis is that Moses had earlier
documents at hand when he wrote Genesis, the question is how much editing of
those documents did he do when he compiled them into Genesis?

> and your selective reading of evidence and arguments from silence is simply
> breathtaking.

My whole point is that your arguments are arguments from silence, as you
lack documentation to back them up.

> Oh, and thank you for the subtle charge of anti-Semitism, too. Much
> appreciated!

That charge is well documented for the founders of a certain teaching widely
believed today. But that was in the early 1800s. That’s all that I
referenced. If any of the modern day adherents to that belief harbor
anti-Semitism, I know nothing about it. Oh, that teaching today is known as
the Documentary Hypothesis.

> It's not worth interacting with you anymore on this topic.

If that is your opinion, then that is why I said at the beginning of this
response that this is the last one I will make to you on this subject. The
only reasons I make this response at all is to clear up some misconceptions
you stated.