b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Appositional Phrase vs. Adjectival Phrase

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Appositional Phrase vs. Adjectival Phrase
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 06:53:54 +0200

My Western logics, Jim? Every and all girls in this world are the daughter
of some man, the same as every and all boys are the sons of a woman! There
is no exception here! No Western or Eastern logics, here!

In Gn 12:6 and 13:7, H-KN(NY is a generic to designate the entire group of
the Canaanites, the same as "the Perizzite" (in the same verse) means the
Perizzites, in general.

You know that in the first years of the 19 century, the French troops
-under Napoleon- entered Spain and remained there for some years.

Now, In Spain, this is called "the war of the French" (*la guerra del
Francés*)
Remark: *Francés*, in singular.
Which, of course, means "the war against the Frenchs" (Frenchs is the plural
of French, here).
A singular is used to mean a plural.

Hope this helps.

The presence or absence of the article behaves as usual: it depends on
whether one wants to determine the word or not.

In Gn 38:2 the intention is to say that Shua's father was a Canaanite man (a
non Jewish fellow). No intention to determine.
In Gn 12,6 and 13:7 the intention is that "the Canaanites and the
Perizzites" were dwelling in the country... Determined, so article H.

Regards.

Pere Porta

--
Pere Porta