b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 13:18 Appositional Phrase vs. Adjectival Phrase

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: rob acosta <robacosta AT hotmail.com>
  • To: STeinhart <jimstinehart AT aol.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 13:18 Appositional Phrase vs. Adjectival Phrase
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:07:33 -0600

Jim, I wish to focus on the meaning of Genesis 13:17-18
I stated , based on the works of others that13:18 means "So Abraham moved
his tents from place to place, then settled in Hebron" meaning Abraham obeyed
the command to "walk the land." after Lot departed. You dispute this,
You have gone to great lengths to try to show the quote "you go left and I go
right" in Genesis 13:9 meant Abraham went opposite Lot to the Aijalon
valley.(it's you go north I go south in both the Targums and Talmud) You
claim Abraham did not actually obey God's command to walk the land. You
claim there is no evidence Abraham made this journey although I'd mentioned
traditions from all over Canaan. The direction Lot went is totally
irrelevant. Abraham was clearly given another mission which had nothing to
do with Lot.This is clear by the use of וַיֶּאֱהַ֣ל (vai·ye·'e·hal) which
appears on only one other occasion in the bible. And this is confirmed in
the Dead Sea Scrolls.
I refer you to The Genesis Apocryphon labeled 1QapGen found in Cave 1 near
Qumran written, possibly by the Essenes in Aramaic and dating to about 100
BCE available from many sources online.
It is said to be Abraham's personal narration of the events later used by
Moses.
"After that day, Lot departed from me on account of the deeds of our
shepherds. He went away and settled in the valley of the Jordan, together
with all his flocks; and I myself added more to them. He kept his sheep and
journeyed as far as Sodom, and he bought a house for himself in Sodom and
dwelt in it. But I dwelt on the mountain of Bethel and it grieved me that my
nephew Lot had departed from me.
"And God appeared to me in a vision at night and said to me, "Go to Ramath
Hazor which is north of Bethel, the place where you dwell, and lift up your
eyes and look to the east and to the west and to the south and to the north;
and behold all this land which I give to you and your seed forever....Rise
and go! Behold the length and breadth of the land for it is yours; and after
you, I will give it to your seed forever.""
"And I, Abram, departed to travel about and see the land.' I began my journey
at the river Gihon and traveled along the coast of the sea until I came to
the Mountain of the Bull [Taurus]. Then I traveled from the coast of the
Great Saltwater Sea and journeyed towards the east by the Mountain of the
Bull, across the breadth of the land, until I came to the river Euphrates. I
journeyed along the Euphrates until I came to the Red Sea in the east, and I
traveled along the coast of the Red Sea until I came to the tongue of the Sea
of Reeds which flows out from the Red Sea. Then I pursued my way in the south
until I came to the river Gihon, and returning, I came to my house in peace
and found all things prosperous there. I went to dwell at the Oaks of Mamre,
which is at Hebron, northeast of Hebron; and I built an altar there, and laid
on it a sacrifice and an oblation to the Most High God...."

Now, you may wish to dig up the Essenes and tell them they too are wrong ,
and you will no doubt question the fact it is a story in a Dead Sea Scroll
and not the Hebrew Bible but the story laid out here, over 2000 years ago
precisely matches Genesis 13:17-18 and gives a plausible route. It is not
a recent invention such as your theory. It is how the early Jews understood
Genesis 13:18.It is what they taught their children.
It points out: Abraham did as commanded in his usual fashion...he did it
immediately. He did not wait until Isaac was born. Lot leaves Canaan
altogether. He keeps his sheep even after he buys a home in Sodom, so your
claim Lot he sells his sheep to "live the city life" is also not accurate.
Abraham obeys the command to Walk the Land immediately after it was given
and precisely as it was given. He returns and settles in Hebron...the
traditional Hebron where the Oaks of Mamre are in the very fertile Northeast
of modern day Hebron.
We are told in the Jewish traditions Sodom was outside Canaan. That Lot
married an Egyptian woman while inEgypt, and that Sodom was the only city in
the region that would accept him as a resident and only becauseof his great
herds of sheep. This is why he is sitting "at the gates" of Sodom, a practice
of the merchants,when the angels arrive. I've stated before that many of the
questions that so vex moderns due to the difficulties of Hebrew are likely
answeredsomewhere,at some time, by the ancient Jews themselves if you look
hard enough.
Rob Acosta