b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] question re accent signs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yodan" <yodan AT yodanco.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] question re accent signs
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 07:30:38 -0700

Shalom!

Questions about post-positive accent signs in Masoretic manuscripts:

(1)

When a Pashta is used in a Mil'ra word, there is no issue - the word's
stress is on the last syllable anyway. However, when a Pashta is used in a
Mil'el word, I've seen it appearing twice in the word - one Pashta above the
stressed syllable and the other Pashta at its normal location (the upper
left "corner" of the word).

QUESTION:

Are there any Mil'el words that have a single Pashta at the end of the word
even though the stressed syllable is not the word's last syllable (based on
the word's structure).

(2)

I've seen Mil'el words with other post-positive accents (Telisha Ketana or
Zarka). In the words I've seen, there is only one accent (at the end of the
word) and no accent on the syllable that is supposed to be stressed (based
on the word's structure).

QUESTION:

Are there Mil'el words that have two such signs per word (as is the case
with Pashta)?

Thank you very much,

Rivka Sherman-Gold