b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22 answering quotes

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 22 answering quotes
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:19:10 +0000

Pere,

I am not saying that "enut" can't mean "affliction" in Psalm 22:25. I am just
saying that a word that is used only once might have been misunderstood and
the meaning guessed by people thousands of years ago. I am not sure if
statistics like how many times infinitives are used with lamed in the front
or not should be used as proof because just like a word can occur once, an
infinitive of a verb might be used without a lamed once. If you can accept
the idea that a noun can exist with just one example, then you should
probably be able to accept the possibility that a form of a verb can exist
just once also. I don't consider this to be proof, but it sounds like my
explanation could be a rare use of a word possibly. If you use statistics as
proof, then what happens to the rare things that might also exist?

Kenneth Greifer