b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Words adopted into Biblical Hebrew Vocabulary

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Words adopted into Biblical Hebrew Vocabulary
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 20:37:45 -0800

George:

and Persians (seeing as the Persians were originally a small offshoot of the
Medes) and it appears from a quick read that not much is known about either
people or their languages before about the eighth century BC.

Concerning the term PRDS, how wide spread was it among Indo-European peoples
in the 10th century BC? I would dare say that this is a question for which
we don’t have an answer, nor can we have an answer. Wars and the
vicissitudes of time have destroyed the evidence we need to make such an
answer. So how did it come into the Hebrew language? Again, we don’t know.

All I can say for certain is that just this one term in isolation is
insufficient evidence to give any date for authorship of the document.

As I said before, I will state again: we know too little about the
linguistic milieu surrounding Biblical Hebrew that we usually cannot
determine which were loan words, and if loan words, were they to or from
Hebrew? Or were they common words known in many languages?

Karl W. Randolph.