b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Words adopted into Biblical Hebrew Vocabulary

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Donald R. Vance, Ph.D." <donaldrvance AT mac.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Words adopted into Biblical Hebrew Vocabulary
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 10:26:53 -0800

Donald:

On what basis can you make your claims below?

While it is true that we don’t have physical texts extant, there is no
reason to assume that the copies that we have from later are not highly
accurate copies of earlier texts.

Not all the Biblical texts have authorship dates on them. Of those that do
have authorship dates, if one dates them according to the claimed authorship
dates, one can see a literary stylistic progression from medium (Torah) to
high (prophets, Job), then suddenly low (post-Babylonian exile). Within this
broad outline, Kohelet clearly fits the high literary style typified by the
pre-Babylonian exile, kingdom era Biblical literature.

The only contradictions I have seen to the above picture have been religious
(philosophical) and not linguistic, therefore off topic for this list.

Karl W. Randolph.

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Donald R. Vance, Ph.D. <donaldrvance AT mac.com