b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Words adopted into Biblical Hebrew Vocabulary

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Words adopted into Biblical Hebrew Vocabulary
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 01:37:34 +0000

Actually, ברזל probably has a non-Semitic origin as well. I refer you to the
lexicons for the etymological trail. Furthermore, iron is a generic
commodity, and you can see how the word would have infiltrated quite early on
throughout a number of languages. 'Paradises' or 'botanical gardens' or
'luxury estates' or however else you want to translate פרדס isn't something
you can generally take with you for trade or manufacturing. Its spread into
the Semitic languages, therefore, suggests a time when Persian luxury was
widely known by fame and prestige. I don't see how we can be any earlier than
the Persian Era on that one. It would be highly unlikely any earlier, in my
opinion.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au