b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] natsal

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] natsal
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 10:32:34 -0800

Randall:

If the qal and niphal conjugate for active, piel and pual for stative,
hiphil and hophal for causative, and hitpael for reflexive, then what would
anyone expect a hiphil NCL to mean when the qal means to take away. But
don’t expect this to map cleanly onto English, after all, we’re discussing
Biblical Hebrew here.

As for this sentence, it is the context that indicates the aspect, not the
verbal conjugation.

Karl W. Randolph.