b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] natsal

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] natsal
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 12:59:29 +0200

>> I hear you saying that the verb hatsil,
>> as an active causative to the passive causative hof`al,
>> would be broadly in the range of meaning:
>>    'to cause someone/something to take away   '.
>>
>> Would you like to fix that up, refine it a bit?
>
> Not now.

Fine.
Apparently the definition is 'in the ballpark'
Let others check it out.

PS: I was disappointed in your return to discuss personal
background. Your discourse on my knowledge of 'Modern
Hebrew' was irrelevant, though you used it to pass judgement
on my BH. This is especially strange when you rely on this
as if it were evidence of something.
(It was also inaccurate:
The standard ModHeb dictionary still lists verbs by root, but that
doesn't confuse speakers anymore than Arabic dictionaries
confuse Arabic speakers.
And there is no problem with a causative hatsil, anyway !
My hatsil can be called a causative verb built on a root
with a basic meaning 'to be safe':
"to cause something to be safe, that is, to rescue."
You shouldn't be having a problem with that.
The evidence presented on *natsal only seems to go
against the specific application of your approach to hatsil
[so far documented as "English + concordance +
first year grammar", but that is irrelevant, too. As is the
question of how how many lifetime hours someone has spent
looking at the BH text.]) The basic problem in this whole
discussion was starting from the concordance definition.

So we can leave it, and probably should.

If and when you want to pick it up,
please do not rehearse personal backgrounds but --

simply give a definition that explains how *natsal means
approximately "to take away [for safety]"
and hitsil is a causative built on that.

Until then, it should just be dropped.

yehi leka yom tov, weyase'm leka shalom.

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicallanguagecenter.com