b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] isaac on who spoke hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] isaac on who spoke hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 15:25:59 -0300

yes, he wrote it in mesha-at, and even mesha-on and mesha-it language.

first, because the only purpose of his stone was to do publicity
to his reign and achievements, so he wanted people to read it.

also, it can be observed that his message is very clear; the sentences
are short and do not apply epic rhyme nor variation; the vocabulary is
very basic. so, he did not have style in mind.

and, he used qatal and wayiqtol.

none of your versions, though, is correct. you use both (perfect) actions
in the same form. my suggestion is:

beqomti haboqer axazti $nei melafefonim we-agbaniah, wa-a'as hasalat.

one qatal, the other yiqtol.

nir cohen

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 12:32:25 -0500, Isaac Fried wrote