b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] natsal

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] natsal
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 18:17:47 +0200

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 3:58 PM, K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Randall:
>
> According to a concordance, this word is listed under NCL נצל and is found
> in the niphal, hiphil, hophal and hitpael binyanim. The consonantal text
> allows for it to be read as a qal and is defective for a hiphil reading (a
> hiphil example is found in the next verse).

Thanks, Karl, but this doesn't actually interact with the
meaning questions that I asked.

Do you claim that the pa`al or hif`il means 'to take away ...'?

And whichever is which, then what do you claim for the other?

Or do you claim that the pa`al and hif`il mean the same?

I suppose after you clarify those questions
we can discuss whether a *natsal actually occurs somewhere,
which is a separate question.

On morphology and wayyiqtol vs yiqtol:
I'm glad you like hatsil in the next verse. Again, after clarifying the
questions, we can discuss
wayyiqtol wayyatsel

and compare with yiqtol yatsil.
(which is a third issue)

> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 5:13 AM, Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> > The actual meaning of NCL is ‘to take away, often in order to
>> > protect’ and Reuben succeeded in doing that.
>>
>> I didn't know that natsal was a verb or that it
>> meant 'to take away ...'.
>> Would hitsil mean 'to cause to take away ...'?
>> And if hitsil only means 'to take away ...'
>> then what would *natsal mean?
>>
>> We do agree that Reuben succeeded, in any case.
>>
>> As the LXX translated, it was a done deal,
>> another wayyiqtol interpreted as perfective and
>> past.
>>
>> --
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicallanguagecenter.com