b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YERU$ALAYIM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YERU$ALAYIM
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 18:51:27 -0500

It is also an interesting possibility: YERU$-$ALEM. I think, though, that the fraction YERU- is עיר city, as in IR HAMAYIM mentioned in 2 Sam. 12:27. YERU$ALAYIM held great attraction to both the ancient Canaanites and ancient Hebrews through the twin facts that it is situated high in the mountains, and was therefore defensible against the well armed hordes of the plain, yet had plenty of water from the GIYXON and the $IYLOAX, and also from collected rain water (average rain fall: 500 mm/year). Some think that $ALEM was another name for 'sun' (E$-AL-EM?), and that king $LOMOH was the roi soleil of ancient Israel.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

perhaps,

but if so contracted, why not strong's 3425 + 8003?

regards,

fred burlingame