b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] verb form choice

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] verb form choice
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 23:11:10 -0600

Hello Isaac:

Thanks for your comments.

That's what I don't understand. When you say letters vav and bet become
"interchangeable," I don't comprehend.

עוה (ah-va) appears to mean thick or fat; but

עבה (ah-va) appears to mean bend or twist.

גוע (ga-va) appears to mean expire or die; but

גבע (ga-va) appears to mean hill or high.

קוה (ka-va) appears to mean to wait or collect; but

קבע (ka-va) appears to mean drain or bowl.

Are you suggesting that these different word meanings would not not change
with and by a substitution of one letter, bet or vav, for the other? Is that
what you mean by "interchangeable?"

regards,

fred burlingame