b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] verb form choice

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Paul Zellmer <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] verb form choice
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 23:16:50 -0600

Hello Paul:

Thanks for your comments.

I will look into it.

But, we have here a concrete, real world, usage & example ... ; deuteronomy
2:25 with two related verbs. ( i acknowledge dissent from the adjective
"related").

Three options exist as to why the author(s) selected yiqtol for the first
verb (אחל ) (alef; chet; lamed); and weqatal for the second verb (וחלו )
(waw; chet; lamed; waw):

a. we have no clue;

b. no reason exists; either form (yiqtol, qatal) would suffice in either
usage;

c. a precise reason exists; and here it is .........

If option "c" represents the correct answer; I would love to hear it.

regards,

fred burlingame