b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] verb form choice

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "'fred burlingame'" <tensorpath AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] verb form choice
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 23:54:38 -0500

Fred,

If you are seriously interested in finding the logic between the choice of
grammatical forms, I suggest you look into a discourse analysis of the
language. Most of the work has been done using narratives, although I have
heard of some work that was being done on the poetical passages.

About fifteen years (or was it more), listmember Bryan Rocine wrote first
year grammar, _Learning Biblical Hebrew: A New Approach Using Discourse
Analysis_, as a project for his Master's degree. It was so straight forward
that I was able to use it to train national translators in the Philippines.
You might be able to contact Bryan to see if the work is still available. I
believe he's living in Syracuse.

But the bottom line is that there are reasons that can be determined for the
choice of weqatal, wayyiqtol, x-qatal, and x-yiqtol. The selection is not
arbitrary.

Paul Zellmer