b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] FYI: Aramaic study

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] FYI: Aramaic study
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:45:38 -0600

Hello Jack:

All of your comments and quotations lead me ... give me .... the following
picture ... in technicolor .... of your conclusion as to the situation that
generally prevailed in bethlehem and other cities of that nation, circa 10
a.d.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Mass

Just like the latin mass in america 1910 a.d., so the 10 a.d., synagogue
service in bethlehem. The congregation filled the building, and listened
politely & attentively to the religious leader speaking a language they
understood not ... at all.

That doesn't sound to me like a living language. That sounds to me like a
dead language eased out of the museum periodically for the people to look at
(listen to, but without comprehension at all).

Of course, if I err as to your conclusion, please correct me.

regards,

fred burlingame