b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] FYI: Aramaic study

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] FYI: Aramaic study
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 00:39:48 +0000

Firstly some correctives:

Aramaic was not the native language of the Babylonians. Akkadian was.

Aramaic was a widely spoken language throughout the fertile crescent. It was
something of an international 'koine'.

The reason many Judeans adopted Aramaic was because they were forcibly
migrated away from their homeland (Judah), and in order to communicate with
the people around them, had to adopt a common language medium. That was
Aramaic. This is not dissimilar to people of Japanese descent today migrating
to the USA and speaking English (the language of England) there. My own
family did the same when they migrated from Greece to Australia. I still
speak to my parents in Greek, but English is my first language, and my
parents can also speak English too.

It's really no big deal.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au