b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] FYI: Aramaic study

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "Doug Belot" <dbelot AT bigpond.net.au>, "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] FYI: Aramaic study
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 23:23:10 -0600

From: "Doug Belot" <dbelot AT bigpond.net.au>
Sent: Saturday, December 25, 2010 4:52 PM
To: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>

Jack could you explain what you meant by, "The only recorded words by Jesus are Aramaic" , I understood that Jesus used Grek in the NT, doub Belot

I would find it hard to believe that Jesus did not know at least some elementary Greek since it was the language of commerce.

The Aramaic words placed on Jesus lips by the Gospels are:

טליתא קומ Talitha kum (Ταλιθα κουμ) Little Girl, rise. Mark Mark 5:41
אתפתח Ephphatha (Εφφαθα) "be opened" Mark 7:34
אבא Abba (Αββα) "Father" Mark 14:36
רקא Raca (Ρακα) "Empty head!" Matthew 5:22
ממונא Mammon (Μαμωνας) "money, riches" Matthew 6:24; Luke 16:9, 11
אלהי אלהי למנא שׁבקתני
Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani ( Ελωι ελωι λαμμᾶ σαβαχθανι ) "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Mark 15:34
קורבני Korban (Κορβαν) Gift, offering Mark 7:11

There is ONE Greek word placed on Jesus lips, ὑποκριτής or "Hypocrite," a Greek word for "actor" and there were Greek theatres throughout the Galilee, one just an hours walk away in Sepphoris where Jesus' grandparents were reported to live.

Jack

Jack Kilmon
San Antonio, TX