b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vav Nun Suffix

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vav Nun Suffix
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:51:33 +0100

From: Isaac Fried

Sorry, but it is not clear to me what "proto-languages" and "sister languages" have to with it. Actually, Hebrew is so rich that it is able to draw all it will ever need from its own store. what is so heart breaking about this?

Isaac Fried, Boston University
***

ok
I suppose other listees grasped what I meant better than you did.

Hebrew is not an "autarcical" language.
The suffixes you analyze as "pronouns" are inherited from Hebrew's ancestor language.
This is not a feature that Hebrew created on its own.
Maybe you have a point but this analysis must relate to a much, much deeper level than Hebrew.

Now it's possible that you have a hyper-fixist and immanentist approach of Hebrew.
Sometimes you sound like that.
Hebrew was created alone, never changed...
Your approach sounds like the pre-evolutionist "linguistics" of the XVI(I)th century in Western Europe.
No insult intended, this is the intellectual universe where you seem to stand.
The references I gave you from Bohas are also fairly fixist and immanentist, but for Arabic in that case.
And this is a feature of Bohas's theory that I do not accept, even though his approach is stimulating on other respects.

Arnaud Fournet