b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vav Nun Suffix

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vav Nun Suffix
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 06:16:50 -0500

The endings AN, ON, UN, are, in my humble opinion, ( לעניות דעתי ) personal pronouns, as in ANIY ( אני, אנו ), referring to the thing described. To wit: XAL-ON, 'a thing that is XALUL, or KALUL in a wall', AD-ON, 'he who is AD, or AZ', AT-ON, 'she who is AT or AD or AZ' like the goddess Athena. In spoken Hebrew we have PARDES- AN, 'he who tends orchards'.

Isaac Fried