b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vav Nun Suffix

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: "Pere Porta" <pporta7 AT gmail.com>, "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vav Nun Suffix
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:15:01 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pere Porta" <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
To: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
Cc: "Hebrew List" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:23 AM

Unless you are more explicit, Isaac, unless you give some understable
examples... I'm afraid that very few of us in this list will agree with
you.
I'm wondering what the usefulness of what you write here is:

"The endings AN, ON, UN, are, in my humble opinion, ( לעניות דעתי ) personal
pronouns, as in ANIY ( אני, אנו ), referring to the thing described. To wit:
XAL-ON, 'a thing that is XALUL, or KALUL in a wall', AD-ON, 'he who is AD,
or AZ', AT-ON, 'she who is AT or AD or AZ' like the goddess Athena. In
spoken Hebrew we have PARDES-AN, 'he who tends orchards'."

--Where do we find the meaning "I, me, we, us" in a word as XALON, that
simply means "window"? Where is the "I, me, we, us" in "a thing that is
XALUL... in a wall"?

***

Let me tell you the story of a poor wretched language.
It had no proto-language and no sister languages.
It was so poor it had to derive affixes from its own pronouns.
Breaks my heart.
Hope it never happens again.

Arnaud Fournet