b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vav Nun Suffix

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Arnaud Fournet <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • Cc: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vav Nun Suffix
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 13:10:20 -0500

As I see it the essence of Hebrew grammar is expressed in this one single sentence:

A Hebrew word (sans prepositions) consists of a root + personal pronouns.

Inside the root, the (universal) personal pronouns (or identity markers) are the sounds I and U (also E and O) for ( היא ) and for ( הוא ), irrespective of gender and number. For instance, XALUL = XAL-(הוא)-L, is 'he or it having the property of the root XLL', whereas XALIYL = AXL-(היא)-L is 'it which has the property of the root XLL. The pronouns הוא, היא are used alternatively for versatility.

A consonant pronoun can not be inserted between the radical letters so as not to spoil the root, but it may be attached fore or aft. The attached consonantal personal pronouns need not be conforming to the separate ones. For instance: TALMIYD = ATAH-LM-IY-D, 'student', NIYDBAK = NIY-DBAK 'a row of stones in a wall' (essentially a NIYDBAQ or a NIYDPAQ, 'a glued row of stones').

Isaac Fried, Boston University