b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] H-XT-Y at II Samuel 11: 3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] H-XT-Y at II Samuel 11: 3
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:33:17 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: K Randolph
To: Arnaud Fournet
Cc: JimStinehart AT aol.com ; b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 8:08 PM

***
I'm interested to have an example of "wrong" vowels.
A.
***

You just joined this list, but here’s a posting I made earlier on the same subject that covers the question in greater detail, giving two examples:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2010-June/042213.html

Karl W. Randolph
***

To be frank, I'm not really convinced by this example (Proverbs 1:19).
My objection is that proverbs and "fossilized" or ritual (or legal) formulas tend to present odd syntactical features.
Cf. Boys will be boys (not a future), dura lex sed lex (no verb), etc. Some sentences of Archaic Latin in Plautus are just amazing.

In that example you are trying to interpret a similar formula according to the regular synchronic syntax.
There may be a flaw in that process. But I'm not competent enough in the language to say if you are right or not.
This is more a theoretical objection.
I noticed "KN with its **implied** “to be” ": so the syntax is indeed odd!?
What would be a regular sentence with the same meaning and the same words?

Arnaud Fournet