b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] H-XT-Y at II Samuel 11: 3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] H-XT-Y at II Samuel 11: 3
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:47:44 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: K Randolph
To: Arnaud Fournet
Cc: JimStinehart AT aol.com ; b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:58 PM

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Arnaud Fournet <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr> wrote:

Ewri "lord" is coherent with Urartian (and Hurrian as well).
Arnaud Fournet

***

Do I take this correctly that you suggest a different division of the name than what is typical for Hebrew?
Hebrew: )WR-YH “The Lord is light” with the theophoric suffix
“Hittite”: )WRY-H “Lord” then what does the -H suffix stand for?

Uriah the Hittite is mentioned in 21 verses, not one has the variant -YHW indicating that this is the theophoric suffix.
Three (four?) other people are named Uriah in Tanakh, mentioned in 12 verses, one of which Jeremiah (3 verses) gave the variant -YHW suffix.

Karl W. Randolph.
***

The reference mentioned by Jim has ewri in the page.
I don't know why. I was just trying to make sense with that word, not knowing why the author cites it.
WRYH cannot be equated with ebri or ewri as we have seen before. Something like 'BR or 'WR is expected.

If we keep with the Hurro-Urartian idea WRYH could be ur(i)hi "true". It is attested as person name.
It makes more sense than ebri.

Arnaud Fournet