b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] H-XT-Y at II Samuel 11: 3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] H-XT-Y at II Samuel 11: 3
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 18:54:29 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: K Randolph
To: Arnaud Fournet
Cc: JimStinehart AT aol.com ; b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:14 PM

Arnaud:

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Arnaud Fournet <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr> wrote:

***
I don't know much Hittite but I don't think Uwrihi could be Hittite (=Anatolian Indo-European).
It can be a Hurro-Urartian person name without much difficulty. The shape fits well and this name is attested.
This would mean that "Hett-" is rather loosely applied to any kind of Non Semitic people in the north.

Arnaud Fournet
***

Even back when I was in college, my professors told me that it was well known among scholars that “Hittite” did not necessarily refer to Hittites alone, but include what I have recently learned are now called the Hatti and the Hatti apparently included Hurrian and Urartan peoples, among others, in an apparently loose confederation of several peoples. Thus Jim’s objections are moot. Thus your identification of )WRYH as a Hurrian name is possible.
***
Normally Hatti and Hurrian are two separate people and two different languages.
I'm not aware Hatti people (as ethnolinguistically different from Hittites) ever united with Hurrian people.
Actually it seems that Hatti language became extinct before -2000 BC.
A.
***

One of the problems we have in reading the text is that we don’t have vowels written (those that we have are from a tradition far later, not original, and demonstrably sometimes wrong), thus the apparent Semitic sounding names may be mispronunciations of non-Semitic names.
***
I'm interested to have an example of "wrong" vowels.
A.
***

One of the problems of analyzing Biblical Hebrew is that the vowels were not included, which leads to that often different words would be written the same, though likely pronounced differently. There is no reason that does not extend also to names, making it possible that )WRYH the priest named in Kings had a different pronunciation than did )WRYH the Hittite mentioned in 2 Samuel.
Karl W. Randolph.
***
Yes maybe, but Massoretic vowels are not based on thin air, I suppose, There must be some long-lasting tradition therein.

Arnaud Fournet