b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] T-SADE

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Arnaud Fournet <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] T-SADE
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 12:15:22 +0300

Hi,

in the question of dating the Vaticanus MSS I think the tsade issue is of
minor importance. i.e. we are making a mountain out a molehill. I'm not a
dating expert but as far as I'm aware dating was primarily a matter of
philology via examining the style of the handwriting. Personally, I'm not
sure how objective such a method of dating could be.

Obviously, nobody is about to give portions of ancient MSS to destructive
(and unreliable) dating methods like carbon dating. In summary, if the truth
be told we have absolutely no idea of how old the MSS is and don't really
seem to have any real scientific basis for dating MSS other than MSS found
in archeologically dated sites. But don't even these rely on pottery shard
dating? Just how reliable a system is that?

James Christian