b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] T-SADE

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Barry" <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] T-SADE
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 08:03:34 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
To: "James Christian" <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
Cc: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2010 6:11 AM

I'm not a dating expert

Have you tried eharmony.com? Sorry, it's a bad joke, but somebody had to say it. Serious comments below... :)

but as far as I'm aware dating was primarily a matter of philology via examining the style of the handwriting. Personally, I'm not sure how objective such a method of dating could be.

Obviously, nobody is about to give portions of ancient MSS to destructive (and unreliable) dating methods like carbon dating. In summary, if the truth be told we have absolutely no idea of how old the MSS is and don't really seem to have any real scientific basis for dating MSS other than MSS found in archeologically dated sites. But don't even these rely on pottery shard dating? Just how reliable a system is that?
James Christian
***
Yes we have the right to doubt everything; Maybe it's not a manuscript and it's not in Greek.
How much are we sure of that? Who saw that manuscript? and who can certify what he saw really was that particular manuscript...

Do I detect just a hint of sarcasm, here? :)

This sight has a number of links:

http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/features/new_testament_manuscripts.htm#3

Here's a link that actually works to van Minnen's article:

http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/papyrus/texts/manuscripts.html

Pretty good article discussing paleography itself:

http://medievalwriting.50megs.com/whatis.htm

Of course therer is a subjective element, but please remember that manuscripts are archeological artifacts. The van Minnen article points out that there are ancient manuscripts, particularly non-literary papyri, that may be precisely dated due to internal evidence (i.e., they are dated by the writer of the manuscript himself). These provide a base line to help the paleographer determine the dating and provenance of undated manuscripts...

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
(2010 Savatori Excellence in Education Winner)
Mentor, TNARS
http://www.tnars.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry