b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Seir

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: kwrandolph AT gmail.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Seir
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 09:56:13 EDT

Karl:

Genesis 33: 14 may enable us to confirm the geography. Everyone, including
Laban and Esau, knows that Jacob is naturally heading for his homeland of
Canaan. Esau might logically (though incorrectly) have guessed that Jacob
was heading for the general vicinity of Jerusalem. If so, then it would be
logical for Jacob to go from Penuel south to Seir/Shar/Jazer in Gilead,
before
turning west to go into Canaan. Esau well knows that Jacob is certainly
not planning to drive his exhausted flock through the entire Transjordan
south
to a locale south of the Dead Sea, some 100 miles distant!

“[Jacob speaking to Esau:] ‘Let my lord [Esau] pass on ahead of his
servant [Jacob], and I [Jacob] will lead on slowly, at the pace of the
livestock
that are ahead of me and at the pace of the children, until I come to my
lord [Esau] in Seir.’" Genesis 33: 14 (ESV)

In chapters 32, 33 and 14 of Genesis, the Seir being referenced must be in
Gilead.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois