b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Seir

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Seir
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 08:41:32 -0700

Jim:

Thankfully you limited yourself to only three paragraphs.

But unfortunately most of what you wrote is the fluff that is trying the
patience of others on this list.

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 6:56 AM, <JimStinehart AT aol.com> wrote:

> Karl:
>

> … Esau well knows that Jacob is certainly not planning to drive his
> exhausted flock through the entire Transjordan south to a locale south of
> the Dead Sea, some 100 miles distant!
>

> “[Jacob speaking to Esau:] ‘Let my lord [Esau] pass on ahead of his
> servant [Jacob], and I [Jacob] will lead on slowly, at the pace of the
> livestock that are ahead of me and at the pace of the children, until I
> come to my lord [Esau] in Seir.’" Genesis 33: 14 (ESV)

There are errors in your analysis: the meeting was held not in the
Transjordan, rather west of the Jordan; and the flocks were not exhausted
because Jacob had been taking his time and his excuse was that he should
continue to do so. Further, the language used by Jacob in the Hebrew
indicates that this was an offer made by Jacob that was not followed up on,
as Jacob never made it to Seir.

> In chapters 32, 33 and 14 of Genesis, the Seir being referenced must be in
> Gilead.

GIGO. Errors feeding into the computation leads to errors in results.