b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Seir

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Seir
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 21:23:02 +0300

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 6:41 PM, K Randolph wrote:
> Jim:
>
> Thankfully you limited yourself to only three paragraphs.
>
> But unfortunately most of what you wrote is the fluff that is trying the
> patience of others on this list.

Karl, let us now deal with your "fluff" (I guess that is the slang for
list posts
nowadays).

> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 6:56 AM, <JimStinehart AT aol.com> wrote:
>
>>  Karl:
>>
>> … Esau well knows that Jacob is certainly not planning to drive his
>> exhausted
>> flock through the entire Transjordan south to a locale south of the Dead
>> Sea,
> > some 100 miles distant!
>>
>> “[Jacob speaking to Esau:]  ‘Let my lord [Esau] pass on ahead of his
>> servant
> > [Jacob], and I [Jacob] will lead on slowly, at the pace of the livestock
> > that are
> > ahead of me and at the pace of the children, until I come to my lord
> > [Esau]
> > in Seir.’"  Genesis 33: 14 (ESV)
>>
> There are errors in your analysis: the meeting was held not in the
> Transjordan,

Yes, it was.

> rather west of the Jordan;

No, it wasn't.

> and the flocks were not exhausted
> because Jacob had been taking his time and his excuse was that he should
> continue to do so. Further, the language used by Jacob in the Hebrew
> indicates that this was an offer made by Jacob that was not followed up on,
> as Jacob never made it to Seir.

No, the language does not indicate that Jacob never made it to Seir. I don't
know what theory you have now about the Hebrew, but Jacob simply says he'll
catch up with Esau. Furthermore, Jacob did make it to Migdal Eder and
beyond - Gen 35:21. Eder just happens to be on the border of Edom -- Joshua
15:21.

> Genesis 32 indicates that it is the Jordan River being crossed (verse 11, 10
> in English) at the ford named YBQ (verse 23, 22 in English). There is
> nothing about a river named Jabbok in this chapter.

No. Here, Jacob is talking about how he ran away: "with my own staff -- by
myself -- I crossed the Jordan, but now I'm two camps (no longer just myself,
but have two wives)."

This little bit of correction was simply because you felt it necessary to call
Jim's piece "fluff." I think whatever your position, you should be nice
towards
other people -- don't say what they write is "garbarge," "fluff,"
"regurgitation,"
"You don't have any pearls worth sharing Garth," or whatever other language
you and James have found it necessary to use recently.

Jim is right here. The meeting took place east of the Jordan river. Penuel
is
east of the Jordan river. However, Jim is wrong about Seir being in the
Gil(ad.
Seir is Edom.

Yitzhak Sapir