b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Seir

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Seir
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 00:32:02 +0300

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:12 AM, K Randolph wrote:

> (Using the Hebrew numbers for the verses)
>
> Jacob left GL(D (32:2a) then ran into the messengers of God (2b–3) which he
> called MXNYM.
>
> (4) He sent messengers to his brother, but from where is not mentioned.
>
> (10) He mentions he is on his way to return to his birthplace, i.e.
> Judea/Samaria.
>
> (11) a prayer mentioning “this Jordan” indicating that he is at the Jordan.

On the east bank. Not necessary directly at, but within eyesight.

> He made what is his to cross the Ford of YBQ, but he remained behind in the
> camp alone, which he later named PNW)L (23–5, 31) then he crossed over too
> (32).

The Yabboq is not simply a ford. It is a river that joins the Jordan
from the east.
Jacob went south, crossing the Yabboq, remaining east of the Jordan river.
Naturally, a river may have a well known ford named after it.

> From this chapter, GL(D, MXNYM and PNW)L are all different places east of
> the Jordan, the last apparently right on the banks of the river.
>
> After crossing the Ford of YBQ, Jacob meets his brother at an unnamed site,
> then we next find him at a place he called SKWT where he overwintered
> (33:17). Did he turn around, recross the Jabbok River, head back north and
> east to where the late bronze age/early iron age city of Succoth was found,
> or did he name a place that has since been forgotten in present day Galilee
> or Samaria?

He crossed the Yabboq back going north, and went west to Sukkoth.

> We next find him in Shechem (modern Nablus) (33:18).
>
> From the sequence as outlined in Genesis, and from the Hebrew terms used, I
> conclude that Jacob’s SKWT was a site that has since been forgotten west of
> the Jordan.

So you have odd geographical theories too, I see.

Yitzhak Sapir