b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 30:20-30

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 30:20-30
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 23:46:21 +0300

The point is that if the text was late you would expect something that was
well known at that time. Obviously, we know nothing about this guy but we
infer from the context that he was well known at the time of composition. We
have no information about this guy from hypothesised late composition dates.
This is, of course, an argument from silence and as such shakey but it would
seem to make the text late.

James Christian