b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 34:8 consorting with the hapiru

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • To: jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, George.Athas AT moore.edu.au
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 34:8 consorting with the hapiru
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 19:31:38 -0400

James Christian:

Many of us would love to see a Ph.D thesis on one or more of the following
topics:

1. What is the meaning of the Hurrian name Arioch?

2. Is Elassar a Hittite name, and what is its meaning?

3. Is Amrapel a west Semitic name that apparently means "Amorite Splittest"?

4. Is "Shenir" a Hurrian word for Hurrian-dominated Syria?

5. Are the letters that make up "Chedorlaomer" a Ugaritic curse?

6. Is MLK (LM in defective spelling uniquely attested at Ugarit, and what is
the significance of that?

7. Is XCCN TMR a Hurrian name? [Arioch is a bona fide Hurrian name, and
since chapter 14 of Genesis is recognized by scholars as being very old, the
reference to Hurrians at Genesis 14: 6 is probably a reference to the
historical Hurrians. So a Hurrian analysis makes sense for names in chapter
14 of Genesis.]

8. Is QD$ the west Semitic rendering of a Hurrian name, either KD$W or KD$WN?

9. Is En Mishpat the functional equivalent of (YN $W at item #5 on the T III
list, and is $W a Hurrian word, with both phrases referencing towering Mt.
Hermon, which dominated the view of Qadesh of Upper Galilee?

10. Is Seir at Genesis 14: 6 the same as Seru in Abdi-Heba's Amarna Letter,
and in both cases is that the Seir/Jazer in the well-wooded hill country of
the Transjordan?

No one but you is interested in asking a young scholar to try to date the
Amarna Letters, as you do, by the absence of a reference therein to Sodom
and Gomorrah. And no one but you would ask a scholar if the Mediterranean
Sea is a salt sea.

But the 10 questions listed above could change the world. Why don't any
university scholars investigate those questions, and publish their findings?
What gives?

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois