b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 34:8 consorting with the hapiru

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • To: jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, George.Athas AT moore.edu.au
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 34:8 consorting with the hapiru
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 08:06:09 -0400

James Christian:

It would help everyone if you would use your knowledge of Greek to let us
know if Homer referred to the Mediterranean Sea as being a "salt sea". The
first thing I came to on the Internet is set forth below. The phrase at the
end (in English translation) is "the salt sea water". Isn't that referring
to the water of the Mediterranean Sea? Or perhaps the waters of the oceans
generally, of which the Mediterranean Sea was a part?

"Next we began to sail up the narrow strait lamenting. For on the one hand
lay Scylla, and on the other mighty Charybdis in terrible wise sucked down
the salt sea water."

On a more general level, didn't the Greeks refer to the Mediterranean Sea as
"the salt sea"? If you concede that point, I won't look any farther, but if
you deny it, I'll keep on digging.

My own understanding is that most people in the ancient world who lived near
the Mediterranean Sea, other than the Egyptians, often referred to the
Mediterranean Sea as "the salt sea". Maybe we could start with the Greeks,
and then work our way farther east and back in time. Terminology at Ugarit
will be particularly important.

On the other hand, I myself know of no document in the secular history of the
ancient world that refers to the Dead Sea as being "sea the salt" or "the
salt sea". Do such references exist in the secular history of the ancient
world?

You keep on saying that "sea the salt" could not possibly be referring to the
Mediterranean Sea. Are there any written documents from the secular history
of the ancient world that support that key contention of yours?

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois