b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 34:8 consorting with the hapiru

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 34:8 consorting with the hapiru
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 06:39:57 +1000

Jim,

You really need to read up on literary motifs and techniques in biblical
literature. I suggest you start with Robert Alter's 'The Art of Biblical
Narrative', and keep reading after that. The biggest hurdle in your theories
is the fact that no one in the biblical narratives has the same name as
anyone in the Amarna correspondence. That's pretty big misalignment. (Ok, go
ahead and tell me how apparently that's of no significance...)

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au