b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Etham

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Hedrick Gary <GaryH AT cjfm.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Etham
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:47:57 -0600

With all due respect, the late Ron Wyatt was a nut. He claimed to have found
the Ark of the Covenant in a secret chamber beneath Galgotha (so that the
blood of Jesus actually dripped down through fissures in the ground onto the
Mercy Seat), but never shared the location with anyone other than his own
business associates. He claimed to have submitted the blood for DNA testing
but never revealed what lab did the workup on the samples. He wanted to go on
tour and display the "Ark," along with its contents (including the tablets of
the Law), but those plans were interrupted by his untimely death.

Wyatt, who was a nurse by profession (not an archaeologist), used
carefully-staged and choreographed videos to "prove" his discoveries--and
some of that footage used to be accessible on the WWW. Personally, I thought
the videos were impressive. But then I also thought Jurassic Park was
impressive.

And yes, Wyatt also claimed to have found the "true" location of Israel's
crossing of the "Red Sea" (which he thought was the Gulf of Aqaba), including
Pharaoh's chariot wheels. But anyone who's ever seen the sea bed just off the
coast of Eilat (southern Israel) knows that coral formations that look like a
small wheel with "spokes" are very common. They are a naturally-occurring
phenomenon. You can see them from the glass bottom boats, for instance, or
even from the Underwater Observatory south of Eilat. Maybe that's where Wyatt
got the idea.

It's true that the "golden chariot wheel" was not a natural formation--at
least not the one I saw in the photograph on his website years ago. But
Wyatt's own son later admitted that his father staged the so-called "golden
chariot wheel" discovery. Check out http://www.tentmaker.org/WAR/

Bottom line: anyone who bases any conclusions about the Pharaoh of the Exodus
on this sort of pseudo-archaeological "National Inquirer" silliness is
barking up the wrong tree. It's better to stick with the Hebrew text itself,
pertinent linguistics, and verifiable history for purposes of confirmation.

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, Texas USA