b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Etham

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Etham
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 06:23:51 -0800

James:

I wish I had known about that site that Gary told us about when I first
heard about Ron Wyatt, it would have saved me a lot of time. Now, after
having read some of the entries, I conclude that Ron was a fraudster; before
I thought just someone who had mental problems, unable to differentiate
between desires and reality. Now I think he presupposed, then planted the
“evidence”, for an 18th dynasty Exodus.

For me, personally, it was the language of Exodus that led me to conclude
that the pharaoh of the Exodus could not have been any of the post Hyksos
pharaohs. For one, the devastation of the land and destruction of the army
fit none of those pharaohs. The Hyksos were a people who did not remember
Joseph. That Israel was put in charge of the royal herds would have made
Israel allies of the Egyptians, not of the Hyksos. Another, the fear that
Israel would become more numerous than they sounds like it could have
referred to a small, foreign ruling clan over a restive native population.
The Hyksos capital was right in the Land of Goshen, allowing for quick
travel, within a couple of hours, for Moses to go between the leadership of
Israel and pharaoh. That Israel could have been seen as fellow foes of the
Hyksos could be seen as how they found favor in the eyes of the Egyptian
people, such that they could ask for and receive Egyptian wealth. The
plagues would have both weakened the Hyksos and infuriated the natives,
along with the destruction of the army, allowing the natives to push the
Hyksos out. That there was no surviving record of the Exodus could be
explained in that the native Egyptians destroyed records of the Hyksos after
they expelled them.

So from the language of Exodus, I concluded that the Hyksos expulsion could
be connected with, but not the same as, the Exodus.

More recently, I learned of the 13th dynasty Exodus theory, which also fits
the language of Exodus. Which one is correct? I don’t know. At least the
13th dynasty theory has archeology to back it up.

The only thing I am clear on is that the theories of Kenneth Kitchen based
on Manetho cannot be correct. No way. In particular, the dating is wrong. If
one accepts Exodus as accurate history, as I do, then those Egyptian dates
cannot be correct. If that puts me at odds with the state of Egyptology, so
be it: I’d rather follow the evidence than any number of “experts”.

Karl W. Randolph.