b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Etham

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Etham
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 22:26:08 +0200

Hi,

2010/2/13 Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>

> The verb $WB is used hundreds of times in the Bible, with several
> different,
> but related, meanings. Its basic meaning is "to turn" (and is related to
> SWB
> with a samekh). It often does mean "to RE-turn", but not always. In Ex.
> 13:20, the Israelites leave Succoth and encamp at Etham. In 14:1-2 God
> orders Moses to tell them to "$wb" and encamp before Pi-Hahiroth between
> Migdol and the sea before Baal-Zephon.

My understanding here is that they had made it out of Egypt i.e. to Etham
and Yhwh tells them to make a strategically suicidal move in order to
complete the demonstration of his saving power. Inside of going on through
the desert and to their destination they 'go back' in the sense as you said
of an about face and go to a geographical area with no escape with the sea
on one side and the mountains blocking escape on the other. This strategical
move of Yhwh lulls Pharaoh into thinking he's got them trapped and he
marches his while army of chariots against the Hebrews. Interestingly, when
the Hebrews cross the Red Sea they end up back in Etham again. How do you
identify Etham Yigal? The two favourites as I see them are the desert
immediately after the suez canal or the desert at the top of the gulf of
Aqaba.

James Christian