b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Nation of Israel (quick conquest or not)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "James Christian" <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Nation of Israel (quick conquest or not)
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 07:47:09 -0800

Dear James,

What do you mean by quickly? Joshua seems to indicate a 7 yr conquest; even
then, the Transjordanian highlands, the central highlands were the primary
conquered areas. Judges indicates that the Israelites were to continue to the
conquest in the designated tribal inheritance areas, but this did not happen
since the tribes sinned in various ways bringing on continual cycles of
oppression and freedom. Judging (pun intended) from the accounts of Joshua,
Judges, Ruth and I Samuel, the process would be about 300-350 yrs; from
Joshua,
ca 1407 to 1040 BC. with all the overlaps. Jephtah's remark of 300 yrs at the
time of the fight with Ammon (11:26) does indicate the Israel was in the land
for some considerable time.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III