b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Nation of Israel (quick conquest or not)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Nation of Israel (quick conquest or not)
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 23:52:16 +0200

But it's not just the Shishak Shoshenq link that makes the chronology fit.
The fact that the Amarna letters found at Akhenaten's new capital Akhetaten
are written in Akkadian speaks volumes. To date Akhenaten's reign we merely
need to look at when Akkadian was used as a lingua franca and we already
have a rough dating independent of Manetho and archeologically verifiable.
Akkadian was used as the lingua franca in the late Near Eastern bronze age.
i.e. pre 1200 BCE. The general dating of Akhenaten to 1300's seems to agree
with this phenomenon. I find it extremely difficult to envisage how we could
date Akhenaten to as late as 8th/9th centuries and still expect the find of
Akkadian letters to be explicable.

James Christian