b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fuel for smelting furnaces

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fuel for smelting furnaces
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:20:13 +0200

Yeah,

are you just interested in smithy's in Isreal in general Karl? If so the
suggestion of olive trees seems to make sense because of the abundance of
olive trees. A bit like how the ark and its poles being made of Acacia makes
sense. Anybody who's been to the Sinai knows that pretty much nothing grows
wild except for Acacia trees (the long roots make it down to the underground
water supply). Of course we do see other stuff growing in the shaded parts
of the wadi's where Bedouines plant and cultivate other stuff.

In any case, if you were asking with Sodom and Gomorah in mind as Yigal
points out the intention of the author was definitely not to suggest natural
causes of some kind.

James Christian