b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is the Massoretic text reliable?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is the Massoretic text reliable?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:07:09 +0200

In such cases of this type I would be suspicious of the change. The basis of
the change is that it conflicts with their theology and should probably be
better viewed as a corruption rather than a correction. If some were to get
their way they would alter verses referring to God's 'hands', 'feet' etc as
it conflicts with their idea of God. Obviously, God doesn't have physical
hands and feet as we think of them and it is unlikely that the original
authors believed he did but yet didn't have a theological problem with
referring to them.

James Christian