b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] MSS library was Where to read biblical Dead Sea Scroll

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] MSS library was Where to read biblical Dead Sea Scroll
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 23:55:31 +0100

Hi,

Quoting dwashbur AT nyx.net:

My own questions:

a) what would the esteemed sopherim need to do, precisely?

Well, first of all we just need people who are willing to do quick copies of each manuscript character per character into a digital format of some kind. I could create some kind of web interface to make this easier.

Then each digital MSS would have to be checked and rechecked by different sopherim. The beauty of doing this with a computer is that it would be really easy for me to implement automatic correctness checks like is the nth character what it should be and so on.

b) what sorts of copyright issues are likely to arise, especially where the DSS are
concerned?

Do you want the official public answer or my real feelings on the subject? I'll give you both just in case:

PUBLIC ANSWER - some legally sounding tripe I can muster up that makes it all sound legit.

TRUE FEELINGS - the only people who have any real rights to any kind of copyright on the DSS are the original owners who are long dead (I assume). And even if they were alive I'm sure they wouldn't mind. They were after all our fellow sopherim.

My agenda is to make this available to people who want to be able to and have a right to be able to consult these sources for free. If people want to take me to court over it then all I can say is 'Bring it on', 'Sue me for every penny I don't have'.

If it really is an issue to anybody I can provide secure encrypted access to off-shore servers with a complete guarantee of anonymity (I won't be doing any checking up on who you are or where you live - I don't particularly care). If you like I can even teach you how to use anonymity networks that hide you MAC address and bounce your internet activity in such a complicated pattern that it will be impossible even for you service provider to know which remote offshore servers you are truly working on. This is a little overkill I know. But if anybody really feels the need to take these measures they're in good hands.

James Christian