b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Where to read biblical Dead Sea Scroll

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Where to read biblical Dead Sea Scroll
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 12:02:35 -0700

On 15 Aug 2009 at 10:21, Fred Schafer wrote:

> Hi, I've just begun learning Hebrew, and I was wondering where I can
> read the biblical manuscripts of the Dead Sea Scrolls.  So far, the
> only books I can find have only the non-biblical material, such as
> "The Dead Sea Scrolls Study Edition".  I've seen that Accordance
> Bible Software has a DSS module, but the software and module cost
> hundreds of dollars.  What other options are available?

Not to be excessively self-promoting, but my book, "A Catalog of Biblical
Passages in the
Dead Sea Scrolls," gives extensive bibliographic information for both
biblical scrolls and
non-biblical scrolls containing biblical texts. The vast majority of the
scrolls are published
with photos in the series "Discoveries in the Judean Desert" from Oxford, but
believe me,
you don't want to try and buy them. Better to find a library that has them
because the cost
of them makes the Accordance module look like a bargain.

The other big problem with the Accordance module, of course, is that it
pretty much only
works on Mac, at least the last I heard. But if you can get near a decent
academic library,
my book can help you find some good quality photo editions and such to work
with.

Dave Washburn

http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur