b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 10:29:03 +0100

Hi David,

1) Newton watched as the apple fell upwards.
2) The Mary Rose sank from the bottom of the ocean to the surface of the water.
3) The space shuttle landed in the sky about 3,000 feet above London.

No doubt the above sentences make complete sense to you with no comic value.

James Christian

Quoting David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>:

Hi James,

It's the English I myself use and hear about me, nothing comically meant
by it at all.

I guess you see my point now, that there isn't a single meaning across
the uses I've brought. Semantics defined as uncancellable meaning leaves
"plod" in my dialect without semantics. Better to define semantics
prototypically, and probably best done by way of frame analysis.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

Hi David,

I don't know which variant dialect of English you are using but the
following sentence doesn't make much sense to me (other than comic value).